Module Learning / Project Learning



Module Learning:

At the beginning of this module, I set a personal objective to improve my English communication skills. My primary interactions with family and friends occur in Cantonese, which has constrained my proficiency in English. This language barrier initially made it challenging for me to engage with my classmates, leaving me feeling excluded from their discussions. My struggle was further highlighted in my introductory letter, plagued by fragmented and run-on sentences, alongside frequent comma misplacements.

Despite these hurdles, the constructive feedback and invaluable advice from my professor and classmates became a cornerstone for my improvement. This guidance was instrumental in enhancing my writing skills, enabling me to compose more structured, coherent letters and posts. It fostered a deeper comprehension and more effective use of English grammar and sentence structure in my communication efforts.

Critical thinking is not a destination but a journey of continuous learning. It plays a crucial role in the realm of effective communication. Embracing criticism positively, rather than disregarding it, is essential for growth and development. This mindset has been pivotal in my journey towards better communication skills. Learning to view feedback as an opportunity rather than a setback has transformed my approach to learning and interaction. This experience has not only improved my ability to articulate my thoughts in English but has also reinforced the importance of a constructive attitude towards criticism for personal and professional development.

Project Learning:

Through my project learning experience, I significantly enhanced my presentation abilities, gaining confidence and the skill to engage audiences effectively. Initially, I disregarded critiques of my presentation style, which pointed out my lack of eye contact, low confidence, inadequate fluency, and incorrect use of language. Yet, observing the compelling delivery of my critics transformed my perspective. This observation became a catalyst for change, encouraging me to value and incorporate their feedback to refine my presentation skills.

This shift in attitude from being defensive to open-minded marked a crucial turning point in my personal development. I began to actively seek out advice and constructively use it to address the weaknesses in my presentations. As a result of this new approach, I observed noticeable improvements in my ability to communicate ideas clearly and confidently. This progress was evident in the success of my final presentation for our group project on product mechanisms, where I was able to present with greater assurance and effectiveness.

The journey from initially resisting feedback to embracing it for self-improvement has been transformative. It taught me the significance of constructive criticism in personal growth and skill enhancement. Adopting a receptive stance towards feedback reshaped not only my presentation techniques but also my overall approach to learning and personal development. This experience highlighted the dynamic nature of learning and the positive impact of openness to feedback on achieving professional competence and confidence.



Comments

  1. Thanks, Arki, for all your hard work and for the details in this reflection.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Self Introductory Letter

The Importance of communication skills for engineers

Tesla Autopilot system - Full self-driving (FSD) Summary + Thesis statement