Self Introductory Letter

Dear Professor Blackstone,

I am Chang Hiu Chung, a first-year student in Mechanical Design and Manufacturing at SIT. I trust this letter succinctly outlines my academic journey thus far.

My educational path began with a Medical Manufacturing Nitec, followed by a Precision Engineering Higher Nitec at ITE. Although initially interested in hairstyling, my natural inclination towards hands-on activities led me to engineering, sparked by my fascination with robotic toys. My goal is to become a program engineer.

After my time at ITE, I pursued further education at Nanyang Polytechnic, where I was immersed in a comprehensive curriculum that covered CNC machining, milling, grinding, and the study of material properties. Throughout my years at the polytechnic, I acquired significant knowledge in machining processes. This expertise led me to undertake the task of designing a prototype for an EDM tool, initially intended to be crafted from scratch using metal. However, due to time constraints, I innovatively decided to utilize 3D printing technology to construct the prototype. This approach not only demonstrated my ability to adapt to challenging circumstances but also highlighted my practical skills in applying theoretical knowledge to real-world problems.

Despite the challenges I encountered with the theoretical components of the curriculum, I valued the diploma's balanced structure, which comprised 70% theory and 30% practical work. This blend facilitated a deep understanding of both the conceptual and applied aspects of mechanical design and manufacturing. Notably, my final year and internship projects involved the development of an Excel application using macro Visual Basic codes. This project aimed to streamline the process of issuing flight certificates during the peak period of Covid, effectively addressing the issue of restricted office access. This experience underscored my ability to leverage technology to solve operational challenges, further enriching my educational journey at Nanyang Polytechnic.

Recognizing the importance of language proficiency, I am dedicated to improving my English, particularly for academic purposes and formal presentations. Although English is not commonly spoken in my household, I understand the significance of effective communication skills. My diverse part-time work experiences, ranging from waiting tables and event crew member to retail and assistant administration, have underscored the value of English as a universal language that facilitates connection across different cultures and backgrounds. This realization has made me more aware of the need to enhance my English communication abilities.

In this module, I aim to refine my skills in formal presentations and writing. After reviewing the rubric and schedule for the upcoming "Critical Thinking" module, I am confident that it will significantly aid in improving various aspects, such as letter writing, presentation skills, and English proficiency.

I value your time and consideration in reading this letter and am grateful for the opportunity to learn under your guidance.

Best regards, Chang Hiu Chung

Latest revise on 31/1/2024 Comments by Darren and Zhi Xiang - First revised (21/1/2024) Comments by Siewh,Syakir and Prof Brad








Comments

  1. Hi Hiu Chung, I really enjoyed reading your letter. I love the path you have taken, allowing you to explore a variety of experiences before coming to SIT. However, i feel that you left out what you studied in NYP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comments; I will look into what I can add to further elaborate on my experience during my NYP days.

      Delete
  2. Interesting info here, Arki!

    I'll write in more detail once your blogging buddies have given you feedback. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Hiu Chung,

    It's been a pleasure in reading your introduction , it's well structured and straight to the point. Like what others had said , would you share what you have studied in NYP as I would like to know as well!

    Involving your passion with robotics and programming, have you done any projects that's related to those in the past ?

    Regards
    Zhi Xiang

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the honest comments about this post; I will revise it soon. Stay tuned for the updated version.

      Delete
  4. Hello Arki!

    Reading your email has truly made me understand you better, i thought that your email is well-structured and effectively conveys your academic background, interests, and goals.

    However, you could consider some of the following to make your Email even better,
    - Mentioning examples of what we will be doing in the coming weeks that could help improve your formal presentation skills/ writing skills
    - "Despite English being rarely spoken at home" to me sounded a little weird and i thought that using "Even though English is seldom used in my household" can be slightly better.

    All in all, wonderful job done and see you in classes soon!!

    Best Regards,
    SIewH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your honest opinion, will look into it soonest, stay tune for the revise version

      Delete
  5. Hey Arki,

    The introduction well outline your academic journey and aspiration. You portray yourself as someone who has strong commitment to both studies and personal growth.

    Your hands-on experience in CNC machining, milling and grinding is a great example of showcasing your practical skills. It sparked my curiosity and i would like to know more about it.

    Last monday, we had a strong conversation regarding Tesla Automated Drive System and i was intrigued by how detailed you explained the topic to me. Should you be able to type down your thoughts as well as how you explained it, i believe you would be an excellent individual in conveying complex information.

    With that being said, lets together cultivate our skills in this class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, will see what i can add in to improve the clarity of my own background under the Hands-on experience section

      Delete
  6. Dear Arki,

    Thank you for this detailed and informative letter. In it you address the key areas of the assignment, doing so with clear language use and fine illustrations. I like the way you provide a clear description of your evolving interest in engineering and how an appreciation of hands on work can in fact be realized even in the engineering industry.

    You also explain in detail your communication skills, including the sense that you need to "augment" your English proficiency. Language wise I find that this this is quite a good effort.

    One area that I would have liked to have learned more about is in terms of your part-time jobs. I look forward to working further with you this term.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Professor Brad,

      Thank you for your valuable feedback. I will take your advice into consideration and aim to provide a more detailed account of the part-time work section in my introductory letter. Please look forward to an updated version shortly.

      Best regards,

      Arki

      Delete
    2. Thank you for revising the letter.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Importance of communication skills for engineers

Tesla Autopilot system - Full self-driving (FSD) Summary + Thesis statement